Golden Kiwifruit and Coconut Custard Tart
Sweet pastry and tart cases
125g unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
Extra flour for rolling
10 egg yolks
300g sugar (2/3 cup)
6 limes (lemons ok too)
2 425g cans coconut cream
2/3 cup cream
Few drops coconut essence
6 Golden Kiwifruit (peeled and sliced in thin rounds)
2 cups whipped cream
½ cup toasted coconut
1, Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Take a medium-sized mixing bowl and cream the butter and sugar together until pale in colour. Add an egg and stir to combine. Next, lightly mix through the flour until dough forms. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until required. *Let rest for at an hour before rolling out.
3. Lightly dust a clean bench with flour. Roll out the sweet pastry until about 2-3 millimetres thick.
4. Cut larger circles than the circumference of the tart shell cases that you are using (or one big tart shell case). Carefully lift the pastry into the cases. With clean hands push the pastry into the corners and up the sides. Don’t worry if it breaks off, just patch up again with the extra pastry. Slice off any overhanging pastry from the top edge to make an even height.
5. Line the pastry with baking paper and weight down with rice or similar to keep the pastry from rising up in the baking process.
6. Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked golden around the edges.
7. To finish, take the tarts out of the oven, carefully remove the paper and weights. Keep these for next time or a different application. Brush the egg yolk around the inside of the cooked tart cases, then place them back in the oven for another couple of minutes to cook the yolk.
*This little trick adds like a little waterproofing, keeping the tart cases from going soggy once the custard is added.
8. In a suitable sized mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks along with the sugar and cornstarch. Finely zest the limes and add this to the egg yolks and sugar. Hold.
9. In a medium-sized saucepan, add the coconut cream, regular cream, vanilla and coconut essence. Place on medium heat and bring up to a simmer.
10. Slowly temper, by adding small amounts of the hot cream liquid back into the egg yolks while whisking constantly. Once all the liquid has been whisked back into the egg yolks, pour it all back into the saucepan and place back on medium low heat, and while constantly stirring, cook for another five minutes or so until thick and bubbling.
11. Remove from the heat and lastly whisk in the juice from the three limes, that you zested earlier in the recipe.
12. Cool at room temperature, then refrigerate until required.
13. Carefully demold baked pastry cases. Divy out the custard into the tart cases, top with the golden kiwifruit. Zest the limes, then squeeze a little of the lime juice over the kiwifruit. Add a dollop of whipped cream, then finish with some toasted coconut and a sprinkle of the lime zest
14. Serve now or refrigerate for an hour or so before serving!